Tour duration: 2 to 3 hours
Trg Kralja Milana i Spomenik oslobodiocima Niša, Park 7. juli, Oficirski dom, Banovina, Tvrđava, Logor 12. februar
King Milan Square and The Monument to the Liberators of Niš, Seventh of July Park, Officers Club, Banovina, The Fortress, Concentration Camp February 12th
King Milan Square and The Monument to the Liberators of Niš – The Monument to the Liberators of Niš (1937), with its beauty and size, occupies the central part of King Milan Square, the central square in Niš. This monument is considered one of the most significant works of Yugoslav sculpture, and its author is Antun Augustinčić, a famous Croatian and Yugoslav sculptor. The monument was erected as a symbol of the liberation wars that were fought in Niš during the rule of the Ottoman Empire and during the First World War. At the top of the monument is a horseman with a flag that symbolizes the arrival of freedom, and in the middle part is Stevan Sindjelić in The Battle of Čegar and Kole Rašić who calls on the people of Niš to revolt.
Seventh of July Park – Right next to Nišava is one of the oldest central city parks dedicated to the heroes who died in the Second World War. There are also busts of six national heroes Filip Filipović, Stanko Paunović, Filip Kljajić Fića, Sreten Mladenović-Mika, Mija Stanimirović and Konrad Žilnik in the park, as well as a bronze monument on a marble pedestal, called “The First Spark“.
Officers Club – At the beginning of the First World War, Officers Club became the seat of the parliamentary and political life of Serbia. One of the buildings in which the sessions of the Government of the Kingdom of Serbia were held was Officers Club. The building was erected in 1890 near the park next to Nišava.
Banovina – Banovina is located on the right bank of the Nišava, near the main entrance to The Fortress. It was built in 1889, according to the project of a Viennese architect. Its historical significance is related to July 28, 1914, when a telegram was handed to the Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Serbia in this building, by which Austria-Hungary declared war on Serbia.
The Fortress – Niš Fortress is one of the most beautiful and best preserved medieval fortresses in the Central Balkans. It visually dominates the city center and occupies an area of 22 hectares. The mighty, stone ramparts are 2100 meters long, 8 meters high and 3 meters wide. It was built by the Romans, Byzantines and Serbs, demolished and rebuilt several times, to be given its final appearance by the Ottomans in 1730. Apart from the well-preserved massive stone walls and gates, numerous remains of the turbulent history of Niš can be seen in The Fortress.
Guided tour with a licensed tour guide (Association of Tour Guides of Serbia, Niš) – 50 EUR
Contact: email@example.com, +381652665544, +381605069366
Ticket for the objects of the National Museum – 200 RSD for one object, 300 RSD combined.